Youth Essay Contest
The winners of Eloise B. Kyper Funeral Home, Inc.'s inaugural Youth Essay Contest were recognized in individual presentations on Monday, May 30, 2016.
Titled "The True Meaning of Memorial Day," each essay submission was reviewed by a committee that selected the first, second and third place winners who will share cash prizes totaling $1,000.
All Shaler Township & Hampton Township area area high school students were invited to participate, and submissions were accepted at the funeral from through the entire month of April. The contest's purpose was to inspire youths in our community to learn more about this important holiday.
Our 2016 Youth Essay Contest Winners:
1st Place: Claire Blaha
2nd Place: Maddie McMorrow
3rd Place: Alex Rapino
Entry Deadline: April 30, 2016
Final judging and selection of winners will be made by a committee selected by Eloise B. Kyper Funeral Home, Inc. Decision of judges are final. Results will be announced Monday, May 30th. Winning essays will be featured on the Eloise B. Kyper Funeral Home website, social media page and other related print and electronic media.
1. Eligibility: Entrants must be high school students enrolled in the Shaler and Hampton Township, PA area School District. Entries from private, charter and home schools will also be accepted.
2. Format: Entries must be presented in the format of a Personal Essay, between 500-525 words, using a double-spaced 12-point font and must include a bibliography (not included in the word count).
3. Topic: “The True Meaning of Memorial Day”. Students are encouraged to discuss the essay theme with teachers, parents and friends. The essay should be positive and clearly focused on the theme. Teachers and parents may check essays, but the content of the essay must be that of the student.
4. Research: Research is essential in creating a quality essay. Please cite library resources, Web URLs with access dates, and personal interviews.
5. Bibliography: The bibliography must cite at least two references. Entries that do not include a bibliography will be disqualified.
6. Essay Entries: Must be submitted and received between April 1 and April 30, 2016. Entries cannot be acknowledged or returned, and they become the property of Eloise B. Kyper Funeral Home, Inc.. Essays should be mailed to: Eloise B. Kyper Funeral Home, 2702 Mt. Royal Blvd, Glenshaw, PA, 15116, Attn: Garry A. Richter, Supervisor. Entries must be accompanied by a 3x5 index card, attached but not stapled to essay containing the following information: contestant’s name, address, phone number, student ID number, and name of parent/guardian.
7. Evaluation Process: Winning essays will be selected on the following basis:
>25 points—Originality and creativity
>25 points—Compliance with the assigned topic
>20 points—Factual accuracy
>15 points—Grammar and organization of content
>15 points—Scope of research
8. Awards: $500 will be awarded to one high school first place winner; $300 will be awarded to one first place runner-up and $200 will be awarded to one second place runner-up. Each winner and his/her parent/guardian must be present to receive their prize.